Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Mrs. Kerry Would Focus on 'Gay Tolerance' As First Lady -- 10/19/2004

Mrs. Kerry Would Focus on 'Gay Tolerance' As First Lady -- 10/19/2004

correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't this like the issue of 10 years ago? Ellen's out, Rosie's out. A few shows on tv have normal gay characters. Bigtime actors play gay ones... gay ones play straight ones.... I thought this wasn't an issue anymore. Maybe I missed the last 10 years! Hell, I spent from 98 to 02 in Dayton, OH. No one seemed to care much out there, and most of my co-workers were devout followers of their respective Christian faiths. They didn't care any more than this NY Jew; something else they didn't care much about. My point is that I don't think most people care one way or the other; even in the Bible-Belt and the Heartland.

The other issue I have is her choice of hte word Tolerance. Shouldn't it be acceptance. Perhaps that's too much to ask for from some folks, but not most I think. Maybe I've been lucky, but aside from a bunch of crude jokes, the people I've come across, have never cared much. I've seen much more heated arguments about sports teams!

I think the US has bigger problems than "Gay Tolerance" at the moment. People, for the most part, don't care about that stuff. How about poverty, education, healthcare, homeless, violence in hte home? Why couldn't she look into helping the downtrodden in other countries? Pull something like a Princess Diana? Taht would help us all. President's wife can go a long way to helping improve America's image internationally. She could help the charitable orginizations already there; probably drum up more support and funds from Americans and others. Now that's a cause! How about it, any first lady!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home