Tuesday, December 28, 2004

CNN.com - Pentagon: Rumsfeld misspoke on Flight 93 crash - Dec 27, 2004

CNN.com - Pentagon: Rumsfeld misspoke on Flight 93 crash - Dec 27, 2004

I want to make a short comment on this. I was stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio when these attacks took place. I saw two National Guard F-16s take off after the Towers were hit, and before Flight 93 crashed. They landed later with the same number of missiles they took off with, and they were the ones who flew near the flight. I was able to confirm that by means available to me at the time. I had gone outside my office many times as I was talking to various family members on my cell phone, and saw the jets take off and land. Both my father and stepmother worked at the time within 2 blocks of the towers, and fortunately were competely unharmed. By the way, the jets went full afterburner for takeoff, and kept their maximum speed as they flew to PA. The sonic boom startled me as they broke the sound barrier less than a minute after take off! It's something I'll never forget!

As another side, I've always looked at plane crashes, particularly those from air combat which is an interest of mine. I did join the Air Force after all. When a plane is blown up in the sky from a missile, you get an impact like the Pan AM jet that was blown up by the Libians over Lockerbie Scotland. The wreckage there did not dig a hole in the ground. When a plane noses in to the ground, as has happened to many an aggressive military pilot (or one with simple bad luck), they dig a big hole in the ground from the impact. That's what happened in PA. Cut and dry, and I did hear that our pilots did have the permission to shoot it down if necessary. They just didn't have to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home